Tax and National Insurance

Starter Checklist for new employee (Previously P46)

P85: Claiming tax back when leaving the U.K.

P50: Claiming tax back when you have stopped working

CA5403: Tracing employee’s lost National Insurance number

Statutory Payments

SC2: Employee’s Statement of Sickness

SC3: Ordinary Statutory Paternity Pay

Shared Parental Leave: Adoption

Shared Parental Leave: Maternity

Contacts: Employers

HMRC – Employer’s Helpline

0300 200 3200

HMRC – New Employer’s Helpline

0300 200 3211

HMRC Accounts Office (Cumbernauld)

0300 200 3401

Contacts: Employees

HMRC – Employee’s Tax Helpline

0300 200 3300

HMRC – Employee’s National Insurance Helpline

0300 200 3500

HMRC – Employees who have not received or have lost their NI Number

0300 200 3502

ACAS helpline

0300 123 1100

HMRC Links

To register with HMRC as a new employer

Employee to notify HMRC of change of name or home address

To find HM Revenue & Customs contact details

To register for payrolling employees taxable benefits and expenses

Other Useful Links – guidance on employing staff for the first time – Redundancy Pay Calculator – Holiday Pay Calculator – Check if someone is legally entitled to work in the U.K.